It’s easy to cherry-pick one or two games and make conclusions about a team; announcers and writers do it all the time. But those two games, one year apart on the NBA’s calendar, provide fair representations of where the 2009 and 2010 versions of the Celtics stood and stand, respectively, at the All-Star break. One was a dominant, hungry team with as good a chance as any of the elite at winning the title. The other is, frankly, a mess—the most turnover prone team in the league, 9-13 in its last 22 games, 1-6 combined against Orlando and Atlanta, and trying to squeeze enough points out of an offense that has regressed to league average.
2. ESPNBoston’s Chris Forsberg had a chat today. In it, a lot of fans were questioning Doc’s decisions or calling for his head. Forsberg cautions to lay off Doc, but was surprised by how little the team responded to his post-Orlando rant.
Not sure how you blame Rivers when Rasheed Wallace throws a pass to the left side when all four of his teammates are on the right (by the way, that might have been the ugliest turnover of the year last night). Yes, this team is sloppy and the coach needs to remind them that turnovers are not acceptable. I will say that I find it condemning that the team told Doc it would respond after Sunday’s game, then came out completely uninspired last night. Baffling.
3. Rasheed Wallace was great last night. CelticsBlog’s Greg Payne wonders if that’s the ‘Sheed Boston will get the rest of the season. (Based on the evidence of half a season, I say it probably won’t be.)
Ladies and gentlemen, last night’s version of Rasheed Wallace was what we were all hoping for. However, because what we saw last night was so rare, the uncertainty remains. Was this a sign of things to come, or just a showing off on his part, reminding us all that he is very well capable of playing down there?
4. As Red’s Army points out, the Celtics are closer to missing the playoffs entirely than they are to the #1 seed. Yikes.
- Throwing some dimes: League rules may keep Perk & House from playing
- Throwing some dimes: Will Perk or Sheed be suspended for T’s?
- Throwing some dimes: Doc Rivers slimming down to race his players?
- Throwing some dimes: Has C’s window of opportunity closed?
- Throwing some dimes: Is Tony Allen (gasp) reliable?