Rajon Rondo has put together quite an impressive resume during his first few years in the NBA. He’s already an All-Star, a First-Team defender, and an NBA champion.
Next up for Rajon? Playing for Team USA in the FIBA World Championships, most likely.
Colangelo said that over the past 10 days every member of the U.S. Olympic team has declined an invitation to play this summer in Turkey, including Kobe Bryant(notes), who played through a number of injuries during the Los Angeles Lakers’ run to the 2010 NBA championship, and LeBron James(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes), who just signed with the Miami Heat. The last declined invitation came Saturday night when Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams(notes) called Colangelo.
USA Basketball is expected to add Rajon Rondo(notes) and center Robin Lopez(notes) to the World Championships roster. The team also has commitments from Kevin Durant(notes), Amar’e Stoudemire(notes) and Derrick Rose(notes).
Congratulations to Rondo, if he does end up with a spot on the team. He has earned the right to play for his country.
But so much for roster continuity, huh? USA just doesn’t give a rat’s ass about the World Championships, I feel like. The Olympics get our blood boiling, but for the most part nobody on American soil cares nearly as much about the World Championships.
And remember when Colangelo was trying to be a hard-ass by saying players who don’t play in the World Championships won’t be able to play in the 2010 Olympics? Well, uh, how about a complete 180?
Colangelo had previously said anyone declining an invitation without a legitimate reason would be at risk to be excluded from the 2012 Olympics in London. He said Sunday none of these players will be penalized.
“There are no issues here with anyone,” Colangelo said. “Everyone has to take care of their business, families and to get healthy. All our [Olympic] guys were touched by all of that.”
I guess Colangelo doesn’t want to arrive in London with the JV squad.