While writing a story about Doc Rivers, Jackie MacMullan broke news on several other fronts. Go read her story for quotes about Doc, such as: ”They say Doc is a players’ coach, and he is,” Bass said with a grin. “A players’ coach who will kick your ass.” But keep reading this post for some of the news.
- Ray Allen probably isn’t returning. MacMullan reports he was pissed to be taken out of the starting lineup and maybe even more so by almost being traded midseason: “If you really think Ray Allen is returning, then you haven’t been paying attention,” she wrote.
- Kevin Garnett talked to Sam Cassell about retirement 10 days ago (they’re former teammates in Minnesota, remember) , but Cassell is trying to convince him to keep playing. Assuming Garnett doesn’t retire, Sam I Am is convinced he won’t play for anyone but Doc: ”KG is a loyal guy,” Cassell said. “I can’t see him playing for anyone else except Doc at this point.
- Even during his rookie season, which was incredibly unproductive, Avery Bradley impressed the hell out of his teammates: ”He was knocking down shots, dunking on people, and we were like, ‘We’ve got a player here,’” said Pierce. “He was the only guy who could stay in front of Rondo. But then he got into the games and you didn’t see any of those things.” We do now.
- Kevin Garnett will be paid for years after retirement, according to report
- Kevin Garnett hints at retirement, some friends think he will
- Doc Rivers not buying Kevin Garnett retirement talk, thinks KG will return to Celtics
- Jackie MacMullan’s authoritative piece on Kevin Garnett
- Scoop Jackson, Kevin Garnett, and confidence