Brandon Bass plans to opt out of the final year of his contract (worth $4.25 million), his agent told CSNNE.com today.
However, all indications are that Bass is hoping to return to the Celtics with a multi-year deal.
“Oh absolutely,” his agent Tony Dutt said when asked if Boston was his client’s first choice. “Without question, he would love to go back.”
An incomplete list of things that would surprise me more than Bass’ opt-out:
- Russell Westbrook wearing something strange to Game 2 of the NBA Finals
- Kevin Durant scoring more than two points tonight
- Ryan Hollins grabbing fewer than 10 rebounds in his next NBA game
- Doc Rivers referencing the NBA gods the first time the Celtics fall by a slim margin to a miserable team next season
- Stephen A. Smith screaming at the top of his lungs during a SportsCenter segment that lasts far too long
- Hearing Rajon Rondo’s name mentioned in trade rumors at some point within the next 365 days
- Chris Broussard encouraging a barrage of Tweets tonight by thousands of people infuriated with ABC’s pre-game coverage
- JaVale McGee making far more money than he’s worth this summer
No, Bass opting out isn’t a surprise. He should earn a considerable pay raise in free agency, whether it comes from the Celtics or elsewhere.