The foreign site Red Planet is reporting that Joey Dorsey has worked out for the Boston Celtics.
I can remember being young and dumb, and mostly dumb, and believing Dorsey would be a pretty good NBA player. I saw his body, which looks capable of bench pressing monster trucks, and his athleticism, which gave him a nightly advantage in college, and figured he would turn into Reggie Evans version 2.0. That was four years ago when Dorsey was in college at Memphis. Since then, a lot has happened. Specifically:
1. Dorsey measured at 6-foot-7 (with shoes!) at the NBA combine.
2. I learned that his full name is Richard Elmer Dorsey. This fact does not matter, except I find it oddly humorous.
3. He was traded for Nicolas Batum, a deal that already looks entirely lopsided and could look considerably more so if Batum keeps making strides toward reaching his potential.
4. During three NBA seasons, Dorsey played in just 61 NBA games, not even triple the 23 games he’s played in the D-League.
There’s a lot of evidence that Dorsey will never be more than a fringe NBA player. But he does one thing particularly well, and it’s a trait of which the Celtics could certainly use a large helping:
Dorsey’s a great rebounder. In fact, he’s statistically a better rebounder than Kevin Love. His career 21.7 rebounding rate is better than Love’s 21.4. It’s also better than Kevin Garnett has posted in any single season during his career, including the four years Garnett led the entire NBA in rebounding.
So yeah, Dorsey wouldn’t be a sexy free agent acquisition. But he’d come cheap and he’d help one of the Celtics’ biggest flaws.
- Highlight Reel: Stephane Lasme destroys Joey Dorsey and Andrea Bargnani
- Biggest NBA lockout exhibition tour ever in the works? Pierce, Rondo expected to participate, according to report
- Fab Melo works out for Boston Celtics
- Report: Carlos Arroyo to sign with Boston Celtics
- Josh Howard’s representatives talking with Boston Celtics, according to report