Bass is a good, but not great, player. But his importance to the Celtics was huge because if he didn’t stay, they still weren’t likely to have any money to chase a starting-caliber free agent big.
The Celtics obviously want to return next season with the team they were supposed to have this past year, plus Jason Terry, Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo. I approve, if only because the weakness of this free agency class made rebuilding next to impossible at this time.
- Jeff Green returning to Boston sounds like a done deal; Ray Allen, Brandon Bass next top targets
- Rashard Lewis intrigues Boston Celtics, Brandon Bass drawing several looks
- Kevin Garnett not retiring, reportedly signs a three-year deal
- Jason Terry reportedly becoming focus as Boston Celtics move on from O.J. Mayo
- Celtics in ‘final discussions’ on multi-year contract for Jason Terry, according to report