Now that the Portland Trail Blazers will likely match Nicolas Batum’s offer sheet, the Minnesota Timberwolves should have enough money to sign Greg Stiemsma. And the Wolves reportedly believe they will. (ESPN 1050)
The Wolves expect to get restricted free agent center Greg Stiemsma. Boston is over the cap, so the Wolves feel like they will be able to structure the contract in a fashion such that Celtics general manager Danny Ainge won’t be able to match.
If Stiemsma signs an offer sheet with Minnesota that exceeds $1.957 million in the first year (the bi-annual exception), the Celtics will be powerless to match and they will lose the next Bill Russell. I’ll hate to see Stiemsma go (partially because I’ll miss the “Stiemboat” whistle at the TD Garden), but he’s as good as gone and has been for weeks.
Also from the link above, the Timberwolves are expected to show interest in Courtney Lee. David Kahn is doing his best to be a thorn in Danny Ainge’s side, but at least he amnestied Darko Milicic so the Celtics can make a run at him?
- Greg Stiemsma has not received offer, agent says: Might be matter of time, though
- Greg Stiemsma withdraws from USA Select Team
- Greg Stiemsma contract to be guaranteed today before deadline?
- Greg Stiemsma wants to remain a Celtic
- Greg Stiemsma’s reported offer has potential to end his time with Boston Celtics