After Friday night’s shellacking in Boston by LeBron and the Cavs, Boston was in desperate need of a win in Game 4. As ABC announcer Jeff Van Gundy said, “If they don’t win this game, they are not winning this series.”
Knowing Game 4 was a must-win, and how much pride this Celtics team has, I knew today’s game would be a good one. Hence, the running diary of today’s festivities. Here it is, hope you enjoy:
- 9:41- The Celtics take a timeout after the Cavaliers take a quick 7-0 lead.
- 7:51- Rondo hits two straight lay-ups and then chases LeBron down on a fast break to knock the ball out of bounds, igniting the crowd.
- 6:33- Perkins blocks Mo Williams. Then, off of a missed Ray Allen three Paul Pierce gets an and one.
- 5:09- Rajon Rondo feeds Kevin Garnett for an alley-oop over Shaq.
- 3:02- Kevin Garnett limps off the court to cheers for his magnificent effort.
- 2:49- Rondo hits yet another lay-up leading to a Cavaliers timeout. The Celtics lead 24-17.
- :27.1- Rondo hits a step-back jump shot. He has been dominate so far. He has 11 points, 5 rebounds, and three assists.
- Mike Brown says, ” They are killing us in the 50-50 ball battle.”
- 8:29- Mo Williams hits a three to cut the Celtics lead to 34-31. The Celtics call a timeout.
- 7:53- Ray Allen drains a three to extend the Celtics lead to 39-31.
- 7:06- Allen hits a deep two to put the Celtics up 41- 32. The Cavs are forced to take a timeout.
- 4:32- Rondo makes a full-court pass to KG who finishes a lay-up. The Celtics lead 47- 37.
- 4:18- LeBron gets an and one, and cuts the Celtics lead to 47-40.
- 3:50- After a terrible foul call which sends Mo Williams to the free throw line, the refs officially admit they are trying to give LeBron the win.
- 2:58- The refs confirm their rooting interest in the series by ignoring a travel when Mo Williams falls to the ground with the ball in his hands, then calling a non-existent foul on Kevin Garnett
Halftime: 54-45, Celtics
After a 7-0 Cavaliers start, Celtics dominated the first led by Rajon Rondo who had 15 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists.
- 10:33- Kevin Garnett gets two straight post-ups one resulting in an easy bucket, the other ending with him being fouled by LeBron.
- 8:09- Anthony Parker drains yet another big-time three, cutting the Celtics lead to 4, 60-56.
- 2:33- Varejao scores tying the game at 67. It is the first tie of the second half.
- 1:50- Ray Allen commits a foul on Delonte West shooting a three pointer. Delonte makes all three to give the Cavs their first lead of the second half.
- 1:06- On the fast break Rondo makes an incredible behind the back pass to Tony Allen. The Celtics retake the lead 72-70.
- :10- Rondo gets a triple double with 21 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists.
- Doc Rivers says, “[ Pierce] needs to be more aggressive.”
- 9:48- Full-court pass from Rondo to Glen Davis for an easy lay-up; Cavs call TO, 78-72 Celtics.
- 8:56- Timeout Cavs! Tony Allen and Big Baby get layups from Rondo passes; 82-72, Celtics.
- 8:38- ANOTHER Tony Allen fast-break lay-in, 84-72, Celtics.
- 6:15- Rondo stripped by Anthony Parker and LeBron gets a clear-path dunk; Celtics call TO
- 5:37- KG swithces onto LeBron James, who drives to the hole for an And-1. 86-81, Celtics.
- 2:43- Atrocious loose ball foul called on Kevin Garnett for having his hand collide with Varejao’s hand. These refs are unbelievable.
- 1:34- Rondo grabs the rebound in the lane and puts it back, giving Rondo his 17th rebounds and the Celtics a 92-85 lead.
Final: 97-87, Celtics. Rajon Rondo finishes with 29 points, 18 rebounds, and 13 assists in one of the greatest playoff performances of any point guard. Boston evens the series at2-2 and heads back to Cleveland for Game 5 on Tuesday at 8 PM on TNT.